Everything you need to know on how to take care of your new tattoo.
Tattooing causes damage to the skin and a fresh tattoo is actually a wound. If you take good care of your tattoo, it will take about 6 weeks for the skin to heal.
The right care
- After finishing up, we will cover the tattoo with a sterile compress of plastic foil. You can remove this after 3 to 5 hours. You may then wash the tattoo. Start rinsing with cold water and slowly bring the temperature to lukewarm. Lather with soap and finish with a cold rinse.
- You can shower with a tattoo.
- Wash the tattoo twice a day with a mild unperfumed soap (such as Tattoomed Cleansing Gel or Neutral 0 %).
- Pat the tattoo dry with a clean towel.
- Rub the tattoo in with a special cream (no Vaseline). Available in our studio.
Don’t do this (the first 6 weeks):
- Touch the tattoo: wash your hands before taking care of it,
- Scratch (the tattoo will start to itch after a few days, that’s normal),
- Cover the tattoo with tight our unclean clothes,
- Cover the tattoo with plaster or bandaid,
- Go to (bubble)baths, swimmingpools, sauna’s or steambaths,
- Expose the tattoo to the sun or to a sunbed.
- The tattooed skin will remain sensitive to sunlight, even after it is healed. So always use a sunscreen.
- Contact your physician in case of extreme redness, swelling, bleeding, puss, change of colour or chronic pain.
- If you have any questions you can always contact us.
If you don't have a new tattoo from our artists just yet and have you read this in preparation for your tattoo? Then you are on your way to becoming the perfect client! 😉 The next step is reading our work method and take a look at our artists and their wannados!